Sunday, November 11, 2007

World Run Day

Greetings from Tokyo! Today is the first full day of my trip here...I'll have some pictures later. It's also World Run Day--an event that promotes running and charitable giving at the same time, all on one special day of the year.



Here's me sporting this year's WRD shirt (and a bedraggled look that shouts "Not only am I jetlagged, but I just rolled out of bed!"), about to head out the door for a 5K run in the neighborhood around the hotel where I'm staying.

The whole World Run Day thing really hit home with me today. Running is universal--people who are fast and slow, who are young and old, who are lifelong runners or just starting out, run every day in every country across the globe. It's more than just a sport or a way of exercise, it's a fraternity of sorts. When you meet another runner who is from another part of the world, all the social and economic and political barriers fall down. You're in the company of a kindred spirit and you begin to bond because of your shared passion, not divide because of your differences.

If you've never tried it, let me tell you friends--there is nothing in the world like running. I challenge you to try it. If you've never run before don't worry, because everyone had to start somewhere. You will be a better person for it, both mentally and physically.

More later...

1 Comment:

Daniel said...

Running in Tokyo! Wow, a true jetsetter! I had no idea you were jumping over to my old neck of the woods (the place of my birth). I love going to Asia. Last time I was there it was Seol, and I gave a training session to the whole team for two days. They treated me like a king while I was there. A very exciting trip.