Thursday, November 22, 2007

Naperville Turkey Trot

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

In addition to being Thanksgiving, today was the 10th annual Naperville Turkey Trot 5K race. I've run this race for the past 4 years--it's cool, because it's not a super-long distance so I can do it with no real preparation, and it allows me to eat all the turkey and trimmings I want and not feel guilty! MMMMMM....piiiiiiiiieeeeeee...

I did somewhere in the middle between what I'd hoped for and what I thought was realistic. I ended up finishing in 27:17, or 45 seconds off my personal best for a 5K. I didn't care so much about time--I just wanted to start and finish strong, which I did. It was a really good race, and I said a special "thank you" to some of the people who gave up their Thanksgiving morning to come and volunteer.

Folks if you ever run a road race, or ever do some kind of event that's supported by volunteers in any way, please make a point of thanking them. First, they're there long before the event starts. The race today started at 8AM, the volunteers were probably there between 5:00 and 5:30AM. Second, people tend to forget that they're there--they take the water, bananas, whatever, and just walk on by. It doesn't take any effort at all to just say a big "THANKS!", and it might make someone's day.

Anyway...off now to a hearty breakfast which will carry me over until turkey time this afternoon. Eat lots, and be safe, everyone...

More later...

0 Comments: