Sunday, November 11, 2007

My second earthquake experience

Last night I was working away in my hotel room when I felt this shaking--almost like a heavy truck driving by a house or something. Then it hits me that I'm 26 stories up, and this ain't no truck...it's an EARTHQUAKE! Fortunately it was very small...a magnitude 4.8 (link to USGS report here). I'm tellin' ya, it's just freakin (oops, Snow, sorry for using the word "freakin"...just don't go all mom on me!) weird to feel an entire hotel building move. I mean, come on--I've been in a car on a windy day, no biggie. In a small house when a giant truck or a construction crane goes by and shakes the ground--yep. But an earthquake? Man that just ain't right!

Oddly enough (well, I guess not so odd) my first earthquake experience was also here in Japan. Same feeling "Hm, just something rattling the street--HEY-WAIT-A-MINUTE-OMG-I-HOPE-THE-BUILDING-DOESN'T-FALL-DOWN. Little bit more intense than this one--I think that was a 5.something--but anything like this is just something you can't forget...

More later...

4 Comments:

Daniel said...

Ah, memories from my Loma Prieta quake adventures, where I was getting on the Bay Bridge when it hit. We all missed the Bay Area World Series that night. I was going to go on about that story but didn't want to bore you and the readers with the specifics, so I deleted it and instead gave you this much shorter rendition.

Glad it wasn't bigger than 4.8....which is big enough.

Keep having fun in Japan...

snowelf said...

ROFL!! It's okay to say freakin' if you are over the age of 7. ;)

I am glad nothing crushed your head or your legs. That would have been bad.

I have been in one earthquake and it was in SC and we were in school. It was SO hilarious, because instead of crawling under our desks like all the stupid emergency training teaches us, we all just sat there in algebra and looked around at each other and the teacher like "what was THAT?"

Then it was over and we all burst out laughing. It was a very small earthquake, and no damage at all, but was really freaky at the time. :)

--snow
p.s. happy late world run day. :)

jtj3 said...

Dan I remember Loma Prieta--I wasn't there, but I'd just turned on the TV for game 3 (IIRC) of the World Series right before the quake hit--then I stayed glued to the TV all night to watch the coverage. Weird...

Snow you're right, having my head or legs crushed would have been bad. I would have had to have someone invent a super-hero suit (a la Iron Man) for me, then I could have kicked the crap out of evildoers all day and become rich and famous. Hm, then again, maybe not having my legs crushed was a BAD thing! HA HA HA!

And since you gave me permission, Snow, let me say you are FREAKIN cool. (C:

Daniel said...

Yea, my two roomates had tickets that night to the game. There they were at Candlestick Park (or Monster Stadium if we use the vernacular of the present) and I guess getting back to the apartment in the dark on the other side of town was a real adventure. That was quite an experience for us all....