Thursday, November 29, 2007

I did it!

I seem to be on this "the return of..." theme this week. Yesterday was the return of the meme, today it's the return of the marathon.

Yes, that's right ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, and all the ships at sea...I mentioned in a post earlier this week that I was thinking about signing up for the St Louis Marathon. I discussed it with the Mrs last night...she doesn't understand my obsession with finishing my first marathon (and wasn't happy that I may not stop after this one!), but she's OK with me signing up and us heading down there for the weekend. So...just minutes ago, I officially registered.

I'm excited and nervous at the same time. The course has some hills (see the elevation map)--more so than Chicago--but hey, I figure I can walk parts of it. The main goal is just finishing!

The race will have a small field: they cap it at 3000 marathoners, 10,000 half-marathoners, and 500 4-person teams (or 2000 people total) for the marathon relay. This means if it's capped out, it'll be just over 1/3rd the size of Chicago.

Oddly enough I timed this right, because the 18-week training schedule I've followed in the past (thank you, Hal Higdon!) will start at the beginning of next week. My runs outside will be pretty danged cold, and I'll have to do most of the weekday runs on the treadmill because it stays dark so long in the mornings...but having said that, I've been through all this before and feel like I've learned a ton since June of this year, which is when I started training for Chicago.

So...there it is. Now I know what I'm doing for the next 18 weeks. (C:

More later...

5 Comments:

skeeve said...

What is the single best thing you learned from Hal Higdon's book?

Daniel said...

Good for you! I know you were ready to sign up for a marathon again soon. Wasn't one of them in Memphis? Too bad you couldn't do both, but I guess that would be too much. I know little about what can be done regarding marathons. I am just a lowly mountain biker, who tries to avoid high-impact events like running for 30 miles in a place with hills! Best of luck. I know you will keep us in the loop on your prep progress on this blog....

jtj3 said...

Skeeve, this might sound dumb...but I learned a lot from the stories that people told about their journey to the starting line of a marathon. I figured "If they can do it, so can I!" I followed Hal's great 18-week training program and I'm a regular visitor to the forums on his website, and then I read the book after all that. A lot of it was review, but very good reinforcement.

Dan, thanks! The wife and I talked about either the country music marathon in Memphis, or doing StL. We just decided StL was a bit easier logistically. And of COURSE I will keep y'all updated as to my training regimen! I need all y'all's good thoughts, vibes, and karma to help me get thru this.

Jim

suchsimplepleasures said...

good luck! i'm always impressed when people can run...let alone, run marathons.
as for my pumpkin pie addiction...well, i have to leave something for the next meme. for now, it's our little secret...;)
btw...take the meme...you can have it! that one...it's driving me insane! find a really good one. then, tag me...but, a really good one! or, make one up. i'm going to try to get one going. i have to do some thinking...which, isn't always easy for me...the thinking...ouch!

jtj3 said...

Hey Such, thanks!

Oh and I've picked up some other good memes--I don't want to go meme crazy all at once, so I'll add in a few here and there. Check back!

Jim