Thursday, November 15, 2007

Bon jour de "Beaujolais Nouveau" a tout!

Translation--Happy "Beaujolais Nouveau" day to everyone! It's one of those pseudo-holidays like Grandparents' Day or Administrative Assistants Week (side note--how do THEY get a full week? I'm guessing because THEY wrote the memo...) that's been created by companies and vinyards trying to sell an immature red.

Beaujolais Nouveau (hereafter, "BN") to the uninitiated, is made from a specific type of grape (Gamay), aged for only a few weeks, and then sold starting the 3rd Thursday of November each year. I'll have to be honest that I've never tried it, since I only became a beginning wine connoisseur (that is, a beginning connoisseur, not a connoisseur of beginning wines!) last year, and...er, uh, kinda missed the whole BN thingy.

Anyway--super big deal to those "in the know." So if you are an oneophile, I guess now would be a good time to go out, get a bottle, and enjoy it with some friends. I'm headed back home on Saturday and will probably stop on the way home for a bottle or two (to pick up and take home with me, of course, not to drink on the way home or BEFORE I drive home as that would be bad).

I read an article where one wine critic mocked BN, saying it was "like eating raw cookie dough." I don't know what that broad is smokin', but for me raw cookie dough, especially chocolate chip, is one of life's simple pleasures. So if BN is anything like that experience, I'm looking forward to it.

I may try some next week, I'll let you know what I think.

More later...

2 Comments:

snowelf said...

Ah dude, if it tastes like cookie dough I'm totally in!

(Not that I would ever actually make cookie dough to eat it raw or anything. Cause pfft, who does THAT!?)

;)

--snow

jtj3 said...

No one I know, Snow...and I especially wouldn't buy those single-serving size cookies that you can get either from Market Day or that Nestle sells in the grocery stores, and would never THINK of popping a couple of those into my mouth--cold, and RAW--while I'm waiting for a few more to cook up. Goodness NO I'd never do that!