Tuesday, October 23, 2007

What did you listen to today?

Maybe there are people with a more broad range of musical tastes than me, but I don't know any of them personally. I listen to everything from country, to Hawaiian, to classical, to...well, everything except for R&B and hip-hop. A week or so ago I bought The Best of Motorhead, so now I'm even getting into speed/thrash metal. At least a little bit.

On the way to work this morning, I had an itch to hear some Peter Gabriel for some reason, so I put on his greatest hits album called Shaking The Tree. When I crank up the older or more obscure stuff like this, I always wonder if there's anyone else in the US--or anyone else in the world, for that matter--is listening to the same music at the same time I am. If I ever find out someone is, I'd like to buy that person a beer.

When I was younger, I used to categorize and make judgments about people based on the type of music they listened to. I don't use that as my sole criterion these days, but it still figures into my overall picture of a person.

So, with that...what did you listen to on the way to work/school/errands/vacation today?

More later...

7 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I am listening to Radiohead's new CD, "In Rainbows". AWESOME, and the best part? They are only distributing via the web. The price? You get to decide how much you want to pay, even $0 is OK. I initially paid $0 but I liked the CD so much I went back and gave them $15.

snowelf said...

Yea, that Radiohead promo is a great idea.

I am the same way, I used to categorize people by their music, but I don't do that anymore--I like a little bit of everything now. :)

It was Counting Crows today.

--snow

jtj3 said...

Hey, re: the Radiohead CD--coolio, man! I just downloaded it, will give it a spin. And yes, even though I am a cheap SOB, I will pony up the cash if it's worth it.

Come to think of it, I'm doing that with my blog as of...right....NOW. So if you like my blog you pay me what you think it's worth. HA HA HA just KIDDING!!!!

Snow--which Counting Crows album? Love them...

snowelf said...

Haha! I will certainly pay you what I think your blog is worth when I have a job. ;)

August and Everything After--cause it's my favorite. I think there's only one song I don't really care for on there...the rest--absolutely awesome.

--snow

Anonymous said...

OK, I know this is way off topic but I couldn't wait until Friday.

I once met a poet. I asked him how he got his ideas for poems. I was quite surprised to hear him say that he would first visualize the space that the words would take when printed on a sheet of paper. From there, the words neatly flow in and assume the imagined shape.

jtj3 said...

robertb, excellent 55FF (just no "F" on the end, since it's not Friday...). Snow, robertb wants to cross the threshhold into the bloggosphere...we need to help convince him to cross over. See what a great 55FFF'er he'd be? (C:

Anonymous said...

Gabriel is the shit.

I listen to the secret chief's these days. They're have this a hard rock / middle eastern thing going that moves my bones.

I still buy CD's. I use the torrents more like FM radio. Or maybe that's what I use http://www.pandora.com/ for....who knows. The net has been good for music in my view.

hope you're well.

johnx