Monday, October 8, 2007

Bad Japanese sci-fi from the '60s/'70s

Yeah, like there was any kind of sci-fi coming out of Japan in the 60's and 70's that was good...

I was poking around the iTunes store today when, much to my surprise, I found out they are now selling all 26 episodes of "Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot." Anyone out there remember this show...anyone?

When I was growing up we spent at least 1 weekend a month at my grandparents' house outside St. Louis. On Saturday afternoons the local UHF station KPLR (Channel 11) ran episodes of Johnny Sokko, Ultraman (my other favorite!), and old movies--Abbot and Costello, The Bowery Boys, and Charlie Chan.

I bought 3 episodes of Johnny Sokko and started watching them. I've got to say...they're awful. Just horrible--really bad special effects, lame story lines, evil characters straight out of central casting, etc. However, they bring back a lot of good memories of a time when I loved every second of every episode, and couldn't wait to see the next one. It's weird how things that seemed so great as a kid seem so lame now, but they still bring enjoyment.

So I'm curious--what's your favorite show from younger days?

More later...

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I really loved the "Our Gang" television series, it was always a treat to find one of their early episodes on channel 44.

jtj3 said...

Oh yeah, I remember them...George 'Spanky' McFarlane was always my favorite L'il Rascal...

Maddy said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog! I'm sorry the marathon didn't turn out the way you planned.

I'm originally from St. Charles - it's a small world.

Do you remember the show where the Robots turned into rockets and lived in the volcano? It was a staple on channel 44 in the late '70's. It was great!

snowelf said...

I really had to think about this! When I was really little I loved Felix the Cat, Great Space Coaster, and of course the original SUPER CHEESY Super Friends!

Then I moved on to He-Man and She-Ra (always wanted to find Lukey Luki? However you spell it! :P ), the Smurfs, and the Gummi Bears. Then when we got cable, I was addicted to the USA Cartoon Express.

--snow, getting caught up! :)