Sunday, December 23, 2007

Training - Week 3

Today ended week 3 of training for the St. Louis Marathon. This means I'm 1/6th, or 12.5%, of the way through the training. I use milestones like 1/6th, 1/3rd, etc., to break up my longer runs and make them seem not so far--it's one of my many mental tricks.

Anyway, it was a good week. Did all my running at the local community center track, and I really enjoy this over the monotonoy of a treadmill.

This week's training:
Tuesday - 3 miles
Wednesday - 4 miles
Saturday - 3 miles
Sunday - 5 miles

Which gives me a 15 mile week--again, perfect!

I ran this morning with my long-run pal Mark. The last two laps (which is about 1/3rd a mile), I said "So, you wanna just crank these out?" We kicked up the pace and had a really strong and fast finish (felt fast to me, anyway). After we stopped, he said "Man, what got into you today?"

Turns out he was letting me set the pace, and I guess I was...uh...a little speedier than normal today. Sorry, Mark...I'll be better next time.

Mark and I are both looking forward to getting outside for longer runs, he especially so he can use his new toy--the Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS watch. He's like a kid with a new toy. Heck...he IS a kid with a new toy. Just can't use it inside, hence the strong desire to get outside and be able to use it.

Anyway, it was a good week. And now, two more sleeps and it's Christmas morning! YAY...

More later...

4 Comments:

Charles said...

Merry Christmas to you and your's, Jim.

jtj3 said...

Charles, thanks! Same to you and yours--and I hope your 2008 is fantastic!

Jim

snowelf said...

Here's too an awesome week!
Only one more "night time sleeps"!!

Happy Holidays to my fellow ninja-loving blogger pal!

much love,
--snow and the chilis :)

jtj3 said...

Thank you Snow! As I write this there are now 365 more sleeps until Christmas 2008 (UGH!)...it was a wonderful Christmas day, and now we're just chillin' out. Hope you and the chilis have a great one...much love back!

Jim