Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Music Monday...on Tuesday

As I was drifting off to sleep last night it occurred to me that I hadn't yet posted for New Music Monday. So here it is, just...er, on Tuesday...instead...


I'm going back a ways for today's record...all the way back to 1986. The album of choice today is Miles Davis Tutu.
A bit of back story--I grew up in a very small town in a rural part of Illinois, where all there was to listen to was gospel music, Top 40, and country. I had little to no exposure to other types of music, including jazz.
Fast forward to my college days. I discovered jazz in abouat 1985, and instantly fell in love with it. Miles Davis became one of my favorite artists, and this is my favorite of all of his albums. In earlier years he was very much a purist--he'd do small ensembles consisting of bass, drums, guitar, etc. This record is a departure, in that he uses a lot more synthesizers and electronic sounds to enhance the clean, brassy sound of his horn.
I had the privilege of seeing Miles in concert twice, and both times were exceptionally good shows. He continued recording and releasing quality records up until his death, but to me this is the pinnacle of his later years. In an odd coincidence--he died the same day that Mrs. jtj3 and I got married.
Anyway, if you're into jazz, or even if you're looking to experiment, this is a great record to start with.
More later...

6 Comments:

Daniel said...

Sounds great. I love Miles too, and haven't heard this album. Thanks for the heads up on it!

jtj3 said...

Dan once you check it out, let me know what you think. I've been a big fan of his for a long time--I even had a cat named Miles. He was a mean old booger, but that's a different story...

Daniel said...

A very talented but strange man, that Miles. I have a couple of his many albums and have heard many others. I know people that saw him in concert and they found him a unique individual, to say the least. I have stories but will not bore you right now!

In the mean time, I sent you some info on the White Stripes via e-mail. I have been listening to their latest album a bit lately.

Christine said...

Can't go wrong with Miles...

jtj3 said...

Dan I heard stories about Miles during his heroin addiction days--it was said that at a few concerts he'd come onstage, blow one or two notes, and disappear for the rest of the nite. His autobiography is pretty enlightening, and that dude had a great long career. Got the info on TWS via email...thanks! Icky Thump is awesome, too.

Christine, I agree--can't go wrong with Miles! (C:

Daniel said...

Yea, I know someone that saw him back at a New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Fest and he was dressed in a Michale-Jackson-like outfit and kept his back to the crowd the whole time. Sometimes strange behavior can make an artist more intriguing.