Monday, March 24, 2008

Cross posting--I'm becoming an expert...

I just posted this on my running blog a few minutes ago, and I thought it was maybe worthy of a cross-posting here, too...

I'm rapidly becoming an expert in an area that I never thought I'd have experience with, and definitely did NOT want to get any better at.

That's right, ladies and gentlemen...I am becoming an expert at not running marathons...

The week of my 20 mile run I had the flu, so I only got in about 5 miles. I figured I'd be strong enough based on the rest of my training to do at least a run/walk.

Flip forward to last Tuesday. Hm, chest feels a little congested and I'm coughing. Almost like an asthma attack.

OH NO.

So I went to the doctor Saturday, and again today, and the short story is I have pneumonia. That pretty much means I can kiss goodbye both this weekend's Shamrock Shuffle 8K downtown in Chicago, but also next weekend's St. Louis Marathon looks to be almost an impossibility.

Turns out the STL Marathon organizers will allow you to switch from the full to the half marathon, so there's a chance there--but that depends on me getting a LOT better in between now and then. Right now that's the only hope, but it's very slim indeed.

Let's review my training/not running marathoning history:

- 2006: Trained for the Chicago marathon, but dropped out after week 11 because of plantar fasciitis.
- 2007: Trained for and started the Chicago marathon, but couldn't finish because of the course being closed after 4 hours.
- 2008: See above.

Am I disappointed? Yes, absolutely. But I know that skipping it is the right thing to do...there's no point in causing more damage to myself, taking longer to recover, etc.

I'm signed up for Chicago this fall, and training should start around the June timeframe, so we'll see how this goes.

I'm trying to look on the bright side, though--not running marathons opens up a whole new world of possibilities! I thought that someday I could run the world majors (Chicago, Boston, New York, London, and Berlin)...then, I looked at the qualifying times for Boston and New York. Yeesh! But with little to no effort at all, I can not run all of those marathons! Think of the money and time I'll save!

I kid, I joke. Laughter has always been a defense mechanism for me, and I'm deflecting the upset and the negative emotions I feel. The good news--I ran 90% of the miles in my original plan, I ran faster than I ever have (in fact, completed 5 miles just last Monday at a 9:15 pace), and after a little rest and recouperation there's nothing that says I can't try again.

So Sara, from the excellent Running From The Law blog, I know you're running St. Louis--do well, finish strong, and make me proud! (C:

Run strong, y'all...

5 Comments:

Daniel said...

I know how it is...sometimes it seems that the stars are not aligned for exercising,, and I have to pass on it. It felt that way this morning, but I force myself. It felt good when I finished!

Sue said...

Awh, I'm sorry that you're so sick. Man, why the lungs? It's cruel if you ask me. Damn cruel.

jtj3 said...

Dan I totally know what you mean...there's that mind/body struggle that we all face at some point or another. Good for you for not giving into the weaker side of yourself!

Sue, tell me about it...I'm finding out that the lungs affect pretty much everything. I'm tired and lethargic and feel short of breath, and I'm sure it's all due to the ickies that are in there. Oh well I guess it's nature's way of telling me to slow down...

Daniel said...

Oh, I give in every once in a while! :)

snowelf said...

"But with little to no effort at all, I can not run all of those marathons! Think of the money and time I'll save!"


I LOVE it!

But I'm so, so, so sorry you don't get to run in the StL one...I remember when I first started reading your blog and the Chicago one didn't pan out, you were stoked about the StL one. :(

Take care and I hope you are feeling better now. :)

--snow