Thursday, March 20, 2008

Here's a job I'd love...

Explainer is looking for a new freelance writer (see job posting here). While I have a day job that I really really love (and would marry, probably, if I could) and I'm not a fit for the freelance job, still...I think it'd be hella-cool.

What is Explainer, you ask? Well, let me...er, explain. It's a regular column that appears on (in? what's the right preposition when a website is involved?) Slate.com. Explainer's tag line is "answers to your questions about the news." They take an issue from current events, and give you some of the story behind the story (today's column is about comments made by Rev. Jeremiah Wright, former pastor for Sen. Obama).

I'm endlessly fascinated by trivia, and the more obscure the better. It's a running joke with Mrs. jtj3 and me--I'll whip out some obscure factoid, she looks at me and says "How do you know that?", and I invariably respond "I have no freakin' idea."

Like...well, here goes. Did you know that the first product in the world to have a bar code on it was Wrigley's Doublemint gum back in 1971? Or that there was no women's version of the Olympic marathon until 1984--and the first one was won by Joan Benoit Samuelson? Or that there were a total of 7 different shark models used in the filming of "Jaws"? Or...well, I could go on and on and on...

See, folks, not only do I entertain, but I inform. Think of me as your infotainment blog. Or your edutainment blog. Yeah edutainment. That sounds cooler.

Oh and for more answers to those questions that have always bugged you, you can't hardly beat The Straight Dope...check it out also!

More later...

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, I feel very edutained now ;o)
If I ever need a partner for Trivial Pursuits then I'll know who to call!

Sue said...

Ooo, Trivial Pursuit, I LOVE that game! Pen, call me too!

Jim, this is a great post. Lovin' the linkies!

I think it's 'On the internet' because "in" implies it is in an edition of something, a periodical, but a website isn't an periodical.

Sue said...

You just keep switching templates, huh? hahaha

jtj3 said...

Penelope, yep...Edutainment is my middle name. Or, really, I just wish it were. Yeah that's it...

Sue and Pen, both...just pray that you are always on the same team with me, else (even though I like you both) I'd wipe the board with your...uh...you know...

Sue glad you like the linkies, I like putting them in and hope people follow them and learn more. Oh and "on the internet"...yea that sounds good to me.

And my templates--I think I'm really settled on this one. For now. As long as I don't have any other stupid bugs or weird behavior!