Monday, January 28, 2008

Music Mondays - what sounds good?

So I decided over the weekend that Mondays would now, and henceforth, become Music Mondays on this blog. Why? Uh, well, because "Music Tuesday" just doesn't have the same ring, and because I like having set topics associated with specific days. I've got Music Mondays, and Flash Fiction Fridays. Hm, now to come up with something for every other day of the week...

My iPod holds about 30GB of music--not as large of a collection as some of you, but more than a lot of people I know. I've been doing this country music thing for about 7 years, so easily 1/3rd of my collection is country. Having said that, I've got a lot of obscure stuff, too. So Music Mondays are my chance to write about a song, or an album, or a snippet of something or other, that's either really moving me, is on my mind, etc.

So for this week, I've really been digging on the new Robert Plant/Allison Krauss project called Raising Sand. A friend bought it for me for Christmas. It's one of those records that, from the time you first put it in, it grabs you.

I've always loved Plant's voice, as well as Allison Krauss'. He's got the quintessential rock 'n' roll voice, and her voice is so delicate and ephemeral. It's a great mixing of vocal styles. The other thing that's interesting about this record is the music. Usually, you have a lead guitar or some other instrument playing the melody. On this project, though, their voices are the melody and a base guitar and drums are the backup (beat, harmony, etc), along with a couple other instruments here and there.

It's great mood music--good for driving, good for thinking, and good for creative work. I have a friend who likes to have it on when he's doing photography shoots.

It's produced by T-Bone Burnett and, as the Wikipedia.org article on the record notes, he is credited with giving the album it's "skeletal, and somewhat haunting, musical style." There are also several great songwriting legends whose work appears on this record--the Everly Brothers, Jimmy Page, Tom Waits, and Mel Tillis to name a few.

It's a fantastic record, and I highly recommend you go out and get it. I know what I'm listening to on my drive home tonight...

More later...

7 Comments:

Sue said...

That's 15 times more music than my MP3 player... but I don't even use half of mine for music.

I love Allison Krauss. My son was supposed to have been an Allison if he was a girl.

I also did Music Monday.. twice... on an old old blog of mine (gone I think).

Daniel said...

Whoops. It was a messy post but here is a re-do....

I once drove T-Bone Burnette to the airport back in college. Very down-to-earth guy. At least before he became the producer-extraordinare that he is today.

I have heard interesting things about that Krauss/Plant album.

snowelf said...

I absolutely adore Allison Krause!! I will have to check this out. :)

Happy Monday!!

--snow

Little Wing said...

I happen to love the music of both Robert Plant AND Allison Krauss so this one is a keeper for sure!

jtj3 said...

Sue I don't what you use the rest of your MP3 player for, but have you ever tried podcasts? I'm starting to get into those (maybe I'll post about that one day!). Allison Krauss...yeah, love her music. Oh and she and I were born in the same hospital, so I've got that going for me which is nice. (C:

Dan cool "brush with greatness" you had there! Yea I've heard some of the other stuff that T-Bone has done--I'm mostly familiar with him as a producer although I understand he's recorded some stuff also. You definitely need to check out "Raising Sand"...you'd like it.

Snow let me know what you think of it! I love AK also. I'm not much of a bluegrass fan but I really love her work, and some of the solo stuff her bandmembers have done.

Jim

Daniel said...

Thanks Jim. Oh, I have a pile of those "brushes with greatness" but I will spare you the boring details. I would, however, consider YOU as one of those brushes! ;)

I do like Mr. Burnette's solo work too.

As for Podcasts, I listen to a pile of them myself. Maye that should be another blog entry for me. I think I have created a couple of posts on podcasts already, but another one or two wouldn't hurt.

suchsimplepleasures said...

you do owe me a meme. and...i have a little award for you...e for excellent...it's on my side bar thingamabob!!