Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Post-race report

Finally, something semi-interesting to write about...lately I feel like my life has been work, school, sleep, repeat same. I don't want to bore y'all with that--heck it's hard enough for ME to stay awake through it...

Anyway, this past Saturday was the Soldier Field 10 mile run. It's a race I've done for the past 3 years, and I really enjoy it. It starts and ends (not surprisingly!) at Soldier Field in Chicago. It goes south on Lakeshore Drive for about 5 miles, then comes back north on a bike/running path that's right along the shoreline of Lake Michigan. The last quarter mile or so curves around the west side of Soldier Field, through one of the north entrances, into the interior area, and out the player's entrance to the field. You run up the sidelines and finish on the 50 yard line, watching yourself on the Jumbotron.

I'd set a goal for myself to beat my time from last year (my personal record, or PR in runner lingo). I also had another goal of breaking 1:40:00, which is a 10:00 per mile pace. About halfway through I was pretty sure I'd beat my previous time. In the last couple miles, I thought maybe...just maybe...I could break the 1:40:00 mark, as long as I didn't poop out. Well, this year--drumroll, please...I set a new PR. I finished in 1:38:51. That's a 9:53 per mile pace, and is almost 3:30 better than my finish time last year of 1:42:14.

Needless to say I was ecstatic! I was also tired, sore, and a little dehydrated, but what the heck...I'd hit both my goals.

This race was really the high point of the long weekend--the rest was "honey do" stuff, grilling out, doing some non-work reading, and generally relaxing. All that was fun, too, by the way. Unfortunately too short, but whatcha gonna do?

More later...

8 Comments:

Unknown said...

it's cause you're awesome, jim :)

thanks for the sweet comments on my bloggy today. i love it when you come by. and you so guessed correctly! you are so right. we both are :)

hope you get all you seek after.

night night, beany :)

Anonymous said...

Umm let me get this straight...running 10 miles was the highlight of a weekend involving grilling outdoors, relaxing and reading?
Am I missing something here?! ;o)
Seriously, congrats hon. That's some time you put in :o)

Daniel said...

I miss the blog posts, but when you add them, they have good substance. I could learn form you! Post less often, post cool things. This is great news Jim. As you keep running, you will be breaking your marathon records. In 20 years you could well win the Boston Marathon. That will be cool!

Serious, congratulations. Great news.

jtj3 said...

Hey beany, thanks for the really sweet and kind comments. RE: getting what I seek after--yeah, I kinda am. Just making sure to count my blessings!

Penelope, yes it was the highlight because not only did I accomplish something great (to me anyway), but ALSO because you wouldn't even begin to imagine the amount of housework I got out of because of "sore muscles" :wink wink: Thanks for the kind words, tho...it was a lot of work, but I love running more than just about anything else.

Daniel thanks! You know what I do for a living and the pressure cooker we're all in at...uh, the place...so it's more for work/life reasons that I go days between posts rather than any deliberate artistic thing. But I'm glad you like them. WIN Boston? Ah, no. But run it...hm, maybe. One of these days...

Daniel said...

Don't be modest! You CAN win Boston. Just know it....

Tim Wilson said...

Great 10 mile race - and excellent job with the new PR!!

jtj3 said...

Daniel, you're right...I can win Boston. But my strategy involves a gas mask, a crop dusting plane, and sleeping gas over the entire 26.2 mile route. Somehow, I think that might be slightly against the law (note to the authorities that I AM ONLY KIDDING HA HA HA)...

Hey Tim, thanks for the congrats! Haven't been by in a while cuz of work and life and whatnot...I'll get by your blog soon and see what's going on...

Daniel said...

Oh, I'm they know you are kidding jtj3...I called them and told them! (more kidding!). Shoot for the stars, and you will go far indeed. Which reminds me, I need to do a big old mountain bike ride Sat AM to get me stoked for riding again.