Thursday, May 29, 2008

I'm in!

Yesterday, I posted about finally pulling the trigger and getting into the world of stock photography. After lots of research and reading, I picked iStockPhoto.com as the service to go with. I checked email this morning, and what do I find? A message that tells me this:

Congratulations, the iStockphoto administrators have determined that your files are commercially and technically ready for iStockphoto.com. Please begin uploading at your convenience.

WHOOHOO! This means I can finally quit my day job! OK, not really...being as how I haven't yet uploaded any pictures (other than the sample shots I sent up). Oh, and there's the whole thing of "How do I distinguish my photos from the other 3.1 million really good photos that are already out there???" Uh, I guess I'll worry about that later.

Interestingly enough, I listened to the Digital Photography Show podcast this morning on the way into work, and they talked about a couple listeners who'd moved from amateur photographers to "working" photographers (making money selling stock photos). Now, very few people are making a living at this, but they said the same thing I was thinking...it's more about validation of one's artistic skills and ability than the money.

As soon as I get this whole thing figured out and upload some shots, I'll see if I can link to them from here.

More later...

9 Comments:

Sue said...

WOOOO-HOOOOOO!
*snoopy dance*

This calls for a celebration!

Cel-e-brate the times COME ON!

*shouts and squeals in joy for you!*

WAAAHOOOO!

Anonymous said...

Yayyyy GREAT news!!
My company uses iStock pictures all the time - I'll have to look out for you ;o)

snowelf said...

YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

WTG Jtj3! I'm so happy for you!! How exciting!

I knew you're photos would be good enough, cause you are awesome!!
Congratulations!!!!

--snow

Christine said...

YEAH! WOOOO! That's terrific! Makes me want to submit stuff, too.

Unknown said...

hi jim,

what our sue said.

happy for you, beany

Daniel said...

Awesome!

Rick said...

That's really cool, Jim. I've been lurking lately... haven't had much time to blog or comment. I hope you aren't feeling neglected by me (oozing sarcasm). :)

Oh, hey! Congrats on the 10 miler PR dude! That's awesome!

jtj3 said...

Hey Sue--thanks! WOW, I even rated a Snoopy dance!!! I can only imagine your reaction when I actually sell something!

Penelope, that's cool! Hey, maybe I can steer you towards my pix, and your company can buy them...

:-)

Snow thanks! I always appreciate your words of encouragement and support. You're awesome back!

Christine, go for it!!! No regrets, dude...just do it, and if they don't think a photo makes the grade they give a really good critique, which helps you improve. Uh, of course, your pix can't compete with mine...that'd just be WRONG.

Hey Beany--thanks! Wow, so does that mean you're Snoopy dancing, too? HA HA HA HA

Daniel--thanks duder! You're awesome back, too (just like Snow)...

Rick I haven't felt neglected. Lonely, sad, and wondering why you left me--but not neglected. :-) Thanks for the kind comments. I need to get over to your blog soon and get the update on the leg situation!

Unknown said...

hi our jim,

yes it does mean that i am snoopy happy dancing for you, too. if sue is doing it for you, i am, too.

smiling with you, beany