Monday, July 21, 2008

Public Service Announcement

Hey y'all. I got an email yesterday (edited version, below) after my post about training for the 2008 Chicago Marathon. Dana found my site kind of out of the blue, and reached out to me to spread the word. I normally wouldn't promote a fund raiser (unless, of course, I was a participant!), but this one was different. Since it benefits our servicemen and women who protect and defend our country, I thought this was worth passing on. You'll have to evaluate this for yourself: I don't know Dana and make no endorsements of her or of the team she's running for--but it's worth checking out.

My name is Dana Anello White, and I am a military spouse...My husband, MAJ
Paul White, has served two tours in Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.
On October 26th, 2008, I will run 26.2 miles across the streets of Washington,
DC as part of Team Fisher House in the 33rd Annual Marine Corps Marathon. As
part of this mission, I will raise money and awareness for The Fisher House
Foundation, a unique private-public partnership that supports America's military
in a time of need (often times following combat-related injuries in the war
zone).

Here's a great You Tube Video about The Fisher House Foundation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xe5RE6krms

As you can imagine, a long-term stay in a military hospital, sometimes
thousands of miles from home, could mean expensive lodging and long separations
from loved ones. The Fisher House Foundation donates "comfort homes" in various
places across the country so that our military families can be together during
extended treatment for serious injury or lengthy physical and/or occupation
therapy...Currently, there are 38 Fisher Houses operating at 18 military bases
and nine Department of Veterans Affairs medical centers throughout the nation
and overseas in Germany.

My website can be found here:
http://www.active.com/donate/FisherHouse2008MCM/danawhite

I thank you in advance for your support and feel free to pass this
information along to others who might want to support this worthy cause...If you
have any questions, I can be reached via email at:
bflonative@hotmail.com.


So, check it out--and you runners, consider helping a fellow runner!

More later...

4 Comments:

Unknown said...

hi our jim ~

that is so nice of you to post this for her.

not even surprised to see you doing another nice thing for someone.

night night, beany :) !!

jtj3 said...

::blushes::

Aw, thanks Beany!

Unknown said...

awh our jim ~

that's adorable. i can almost see you **blushing**

great day to ya, beany :)

Diet Plan said...

Nice thing shared. Keep on sharing such things with us.