Friday, June 20, 2008

What I did on my summer vacation...

I mentioned in my last post I was going to be gone on vacation for a while, but didn't say where we were going. Well...we're in the middle of a vacation in Alaska--5 days on land, then 7 days on a cruise ship. We've been talking about doing this for a few years, and we decided to just make it happen. We both really like to travel for fun, and so we make it a priority to take one really cool trip every year or so.

Yesterday we spent the entire day inside Denali National Park. I took a ton of pictures, and the ones below were a couple of my favorites. I posted this to my photoblog also, but I thought I'd go ahead and cross-post it here.

We saw this yearling caribou toward the end of our trip. It caught everyone by surprise--it wasn't more than 100 yards from our bus. Quite a rare sighting, from what I hear. I still need to process lots and lots of pictures but I thought this would be a nice sampler.




Tomorrow we're headed to the cruise ship to go south from Anchorage. There will be lots more stories, pictures, etc...so more later...

6 Comments:

Unknown said...

hi our jim,

glad you're having fun in my state. yes, you were lucky to see one so close to the denali bus tour. when we went through, we hardly saw any animals and none of them were close either. it happens. i have seen more wildlife out and about just because i live here.

glad you have been enjoying alaska. i love living here. way cool to hear from you while you have been be-bopping around here.

safe travels, our beany

snowelf said...

I've heard that Alaskan Cruises are fabulous. I have no desire to take one--too cold for my Snowelfin blood ;)--but I've never heard anyone be disappointed after going.
Glad you are having a blast! :)

--snow

Rick said...

How awesome for you and Mrs. jtj3! Have a GREAT time! Savor every moment.

Daniel said...

Very nice. I look forward to all the photos and stories!

Rick said...

If you're not back yet, can you bring me some halibut? :)

jtj3 said...

Beany, it was a great trip. The wildlife was great, the scenery, the weather--EVERYTHING.

Snow, it's not as cold as you might think. It was mid 60s to low 70s the whole time we were there. Uh, of course that was June...January, different story. Ask Beany. :-)

Rick, it was an awesome trip--really gave me the chance to experience a new slice of God's wonderful creation. Oh, and about the halibut...er, sorry, I, uh, kinda ate it as a midnight snack...

Daniel thanks! Some photos are going up on Flickr soon, and I also posted something over on my photo blog...check it out!